- CITIZEN COMMISSIONS
- +CITY COUNCIL
- JOB OPPORTUNITIES
- MUNICIPAL CODE
- +PUBLIC MEETINGS
- PUBLIC RECORDS
Public Meeting Guidelines & Instructions
- When are Agendas Posted?
City Council Meeting Agendas and related reports are generally published one week preceding a Regular City Council meeting. The California Government Code requires that Regular Meeting Agendas be posted at least 72 hours before the meeting, and Special Meeting Agendas be posted at least 24 hours before the meeting. Regular City Council Meetings are scheduled for the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month, with the exception of canceled meetings.
Citizen Commission & Council Standing Committee Meeting Agendas: The California Government Code requires that Regular Meeting Agendas be posted at least 72 hours before the meeting, and Special Meeting Agendas be posted at least 24 hours before the meeting. All meetings are also subject to cancellation.
- Supplemental Materials
Supplemental Materials or comments received after the agenda has been posted up to one hour before the meeting are published online with the item. Late items (received after the cut-off time: 1 hour before a meeting), may not be prepared and distributed in time to be included in the record.
Supplemental Materials received during the Meeting
Handouts, presentations, etc. submitted during the meeting are not included on the published item.
Minutes are approved by the City Council and are then posted. If minutes are not present, they have not been approved or are pending posting. Minutes before March 2007 are not posted online, but available upon request.
- Public Comment
Written Public Comment Instructions:
- Written correspondence regarding an agenda item for Council Meetings should be submitted to the City Clerk's Office at email@example.com two hours prior to the meeting start time.
- In the subject line, please include the meeting date AND the Agenda Item # as listed on the agenda.
- Correspondence received later than two hours prior to the meeting start will not be available to the public online along with the agenda posting and may not be distributed to Council ahead of the meeting.
In-Person Public Participation Protocol:
- Submit a speaker slip to the City Clerk prior to the meeting, or prior to the announcement of the Section/Item.
- Allotted times for speaking are outlined on the speaker’s slip for each agenda section: Oral Communications, Consent, Public Hearings and Staff Reports.
- Public speakers have 3 minutes each to speak on each topic. Time may be donated by another individual who is present at the meeting to allow an individual up to 6 minutes to speak.
- Group: Time may be donated by two individuals who are present at the meeting allowing an individual up to 10 minutes to speak.
- Group Hearings: For public hearings only, time may be donated by two individuals who are present at the meeting allowing an individual up to 15 minutes to speak.
- How to View Public Meetings
There are three ways to watch a Council Meeting:
2. On Television
- Cox Channel 19
- Spectrum (Time Warner) Channel 24
- ATT U-Verse Channel 99
3. Stream Live
- To watch live click here: Watch Live Meetings
Citizen Commission and Council Standing Committee meetings are not usually broadcast live nor videotaped. Audio recordings may be obtained through a Public Records Request to the City Clerk.
- Special Assistance Needed (ADA Accommodations)
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, persons with a disability may request an agenda in appropriate alternative formats as required by Section 202. Any person with a disability who requires a modification or accommodation in order to participate in a meeting should direct such request to the City Clerk’s office (858) 720-2400 at least 72 hours prior to the meeting.